Thursday, 26 September 2013

The Roswell UFO cover up begins

Another man who was in a position to know what had really happened was Sheriff George Wilcox. He was visited by a pair of military officers who told him that they had come to take away the box of debris that Mac Brazel had brought in. Wilcox had kept the box locked up and was only to happy to hand it over. The officers then told Wilcox that the entire matter was one of national security and that he must not discuss it with anyone. If he received any enquiries from press or public then he should say nothing other than to pass the caller on to the USAAF. They told Wilcox that there would be “grave consequences” if he did not comply.

According to Wilcox’s wife Inez there was a second visit from the military a couple of weeks later. This visit was altogether more sinister. Wilcox was told bluntly that he would be killed if he spoke of the matter to the press. Wilcox’s staff recall that he seemed to lose interest in his job soon after the Roswell Incident. He did not run for re-election.

Dan Dwyer, the firefighter, and his daughter were visited and threatened. So was Herbert Ellis, a civilian contractor who had been working on Roswell air base at the time. It is not known what Ellis had seen, but several of his friends remembered the visit from military men who told him to keep quiet and issued threats. Walter Whitmore, the owner of radio station KGFL, received a phone call from the authorities in Washington telling him that his company’s licence to broadcast would be cancelled unless he dropped the story.

Another loose end was the press release issued by Lieutenant Walter Haut announcing the capture of a flying saucer. Several newspapers from 1947 report that Haut (he is sometimes named as ‘Haught’ as that was the spelling of his name given in the original AP wire story) received a rebuke direct from the Pentagon for having put out a press release and was ordered to retrieve it. Speaking in 1989, Haut denied that he had gone around the media in Roswell confiscating the original press release. Surviving staff from the newspapers and KPFG radio station do remember military officers calling round in the days after the original reports to ask for the return of the press release, but do not recall that it was Haut himself. In any case no original copy of that crucial first press release can be found today. There is only the AP wire story that was based upon it and the first report in the Roswell Daily Record that was likewise based on the release.

from "Roswell" by Rupert Matthews.

Buy your copy at Amazon or a bookshop

No comments:

Post a Comment