Thursday, 8 September 2011

Roswell UFO Crash and the "early version" of Glenn Dennis

In part the link between the two was maintained, and is maintained, by the evidence given by Glenn Dennis. The evidence given by Dennis is usually considered to fall into two categories. The “early version” is that sequence of events recounted by Dennis to friends and family before the Roswell case achieved great fame, and is consistent with the statements he made to early researchers. The “late version” includes additional information and claims that Dennis recounted only much later, after the alleged Roswell crash had become newsworthy.

Some researchers believe Dennis to be a prime witness of honesty. Others  are willing to accept the early version of Dennis’s evidence believing that it has added credibility since Dennis was telling people about it before the case became famous. These researchers dismiss the late version on the grounds that Dennis volunteered this additional evidence only after the Roswell case became famous and he stood to earn money giving interviews to the media. Sceptics refuse to accept any of Dennis’s evidence as being true. They argue that since Dennis changed his story once money was to be made, nothing of what he says can be trusted.

It is probably best to take the early version of Dennis’s story first. According to this the events that he recalled took place in the summer of 1947. At first Dennis was unable to fix the date, but when researchers began interviewing him he claimed to be able fix the date as being in June or July, but could not be any more precise.

He was certain that the events began at about 1.30pm on a work day as he was eating his lunch at work when the phone rang. At that date, Dennis was 22 years old and working as an apprentice in the Ballard Funeral House in Roswell. Ballard’s had a contract to provide emergency mortuary services for anyone who died on the air base, caring for the body until the next of kin could be contacted to make a decision about how the body should be treated. The Ballard staff, including Dennis, were therefore occasional visitors to the air base and were authorised to enter the outer compound.

According to Dennis, the phone call was from a medical officer on the air base who was Ballard’s usual contact in cases of a fatality. The officer asked Dennis what was the smallest size of hermetically sealed casket that Ballard’s had available. Dennis replied that they held in stock only adult-sized coffins but could get child-sized or even baby-sized caskets at 24 hours notice if required. The officer thanked Dennis, then rang off.

About an hour later the same officer was back on the line. This time he wanted to know how Ballard’s would go about treating a body that had been lying out in the desert for a few days and had begun to decompose. Dennis began to explain, but when he mentioned that some strong chemicals would usually be employed, the officer interrupted to ask if this would affect the chemical composition of the bodies. Dennis said it would, then offered to come out to the air base to advise on how to handle a body. The officer at once said that there was no body, and that he was asking these questions merely for future reference in case any such accident might happen.

Dennis says that there was something about the officer’s behaviour and tone of voice that was distinctly odd. Dennis formed the opinion that a person had died either at or near the base several days earlier, but that the base were trying to keep the matter secret. The question about small caskets led Dennis to surmise that children were involved. He thought that perhaps there had been an air crash nearby involving important civilians or high ranking military personnel.

But Dennis's day was to get even stranger a few hours later.

No comments:

Post a Comment