Monday, 26 July 2010

The Strange Shape at the Wheatsheaf at Braishfield, Hants

I spent a happy half hour strolling the lanes around Braishfield. It really is a very pretty place and there is a comfortable bench beside the pond where you can rest or a quaint church to look around if you prefer.

But by then I felt it was time for lunch and made my way to the Wheatsheaf near the centre of the straggling village. The landlord, Peter Jones, was most welcoming. And he had news for me.

“You don’t want to waste your time walking around the village,” he said. “We’ve got our own ghost here.” He pointed at a table in the corner of the front bar. “Early in the morning we sometimes see a shape lurking over there. Not sure what it is. Just a shape. And sometimes the table and chairs have been moved overnight as if phantom revellers have been sitting there eating or drinking.”

And well they might for the pub offers some tempting dishes. I treated myself to a sirloin steak stuffed with stilton and served with chips. But I had to pay with boring modern notes for I had found no gold coins belonging to the Miser of Braishfield. But you might have more luck.

This is an extract from Haunted Hampshire Rupert Matthews

No comments:

Post a Comment